Is seeking to recruit:
Traveller Men's Health Worker
The Traveller Men's Health Worker will work as part of the Traveller Primary Health Care Project to engage directly with Traveller men and service providers to address and highlight the specific health needs and issues within the community on men’s health.
The aim of the post is:
- To highlight and address Traveller men’s health & wellbeing in working towards bringing about positive change to the quality of life for Traveller men in Kilkenny County.
- To establish channels of communication with all Traveller men throughout the City and County to further promote engagement and participation.
- To update and identify the needs and challenges impacting on the health and well-being of Traveller men.
- To build the capacity of Traveller men to take more control over their health and gain a greater understanding of the wider determinants of health.
- To represent the current issues of Traveller men’s health on a range of appropriate forums.
- To work in partnership with other health and Wellbeing services to promote the understanding of factors affecting Traveller men’s health.
- To work towards a greater inclusion of Traveller men in mainstream services.
The successful applicant will be required to have:
- Qualification in Health/Community Development or related Social Science fields.
- Experience of working with the Traveller community
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills- Word, Excel and Email.
- Ability to identify needs and arrange activities accordingly.
- Experience of working one to one with clients.
- Demonstrated ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Experience in facilitating group activities for Young People and Adults.
- A full clean driving licence and own transport to be used at work is essential.
Being a member of the Traveller Community will be an advantage. Also, internal applications and applications from KLP clients will be considered positively.
Hours of work
This position is for four days per week – 28 hours per week.
The position is based in Kilkenny City with travel required throughout the County.
Duties and responsibilities
The Community Development Worker will be an employee of County Kilkenny LEADER Partnership and will work directly with the Primary Health Care Project.
The main duties and responsibilities will include:
- Consultation with Traveller Men throughout the county on their needs in relation to the project and develop suitable projects to address the needs identified.
- Build on the work already undertaken by the programme with Traveller Men and service provider.
- Provide information and sign posting to Traveller men on local services and support.
- Raise awareness and provide opportunities for Traveller men to gain a greater understanding of the determinants of health and the services available.
- Work with other relevant Traveller projects to share information and develop activities to support men’s health and wellbeing.
- To work in partnership with relevant agencies to promote the understanding of factors affecting Traveller men.
- Represent and highlight Traveller men’s health and support participation & engagement by Traveller men on a range of forums where relevant.
- Support Traveller men by increasing participation and engagement in relevant local services.
- Monthly reports to the Coordinator of the Traveller Health Project through Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and a narrative report on progress.
- Work within Kilkenny LEADER Partnership staff policies and procedures.
- Attend training when required.
- Any other duties deemed necessary by the management.
Applications to be submitted to email@example.com : by Friday 18th of August closing at 5 pm.